To all of our families, supporters and friends,
Over the past 20-plus years, Gilchrist Hospice Care has grown from a small home hospice program providing care for a few dozen patients each day to the largest hospice organization in the State of Maryland, offering the finest care through the end of life to more than 700 patients each day, at home, in skilled nursing and assisted living facilities and at our three inpatient centers.
Along the way, we’ve expanded our programs and offerings to ensure that any Central Maryland resident in need of hospice services would have access to our extraordinary, award-winning care. Through the years, we have learned much from our work with patients at the end of life; perhaps most importantly, we have come to realize that all patients with advanced illness, not just those who are terminally ill, want and deserve care that is centered around their individual wants and needs.
As such, we are taking our expansion one step further with the launch of Gilchrist Services, a continuum of health care programs that are designed to offer patients with chronic, serious and/or life limiting conditions care that is comprehensive, coordinated and compassionate throughout their healthcare journeys.
Gilchrist Hospice Care will remain the vital, important resource it always has been, and serve as the flagship program for our new organizational structure. Nothing will change with the hospice care as you currently know it; the creation of Gilchrist Services allows us to bundle programs with the same mission and goal – that of providing the finest care through the end of life – and offers us the opportunity to provide education, guidance and care for patients earlier in their disease trajectory.
In addition to Gilchrist Hospice Care, which includes the Gilchrist Kids pediatric hospice program, as well as our three inpatient centers (Gilchrist Center Towson, Gilchrist Center Howard County and Gilchrist Center Baltimore – Joseph Richey House), Gilchrist Services includes:
- Greater Living, a geriatric and palliative medicine physician practice for older adults with chronic and serious illnesses;
- Support Our Elders, a nurse practitioner-led program for older individuals with advanced illnesses and conditions that provides care both in the office and in the patients’ homes;
- Gilchrist Transitions, a program for seriously-ill patients who are not yet eligible for or have been discharged from hospice care due to stable health;
- Gilchrist Palliative Care, a hospital-based medical and psychosocial program for seriously ill individuals who may or may not be eligible for hospice;
- Gilchrist Grief and Volunteer Support, for caregivers and family members who have experienced a recent loss or for patients and families who wish to have volunteer assistance and;
- Gilchrist Global Partnership, a collaboration through which Gilchrist and Nkoaranga Lutheran Hospital’s Hospice and Palliative Care program in Tanzania share information and wisdom. Gilchrist Services continues to financially support our partner through the generosity of our donors at home.
I encourage you to check out our new website, gilchristservices.org, for more information on each of these amazing programs. In addition to our hospice social media sites, we now have a Gilchrist Services Facebook page, LinkedIn account and Instagram profile and a new look to our Twitter account. Please be sure to follow us to learn more about the aforementioned programs, engage with our staff and volunteers and to learn about upcoming events.
We are excited about the opportunity to serve more individuals in Central Maryland and to guide the way earlier in their health care journeys so that patients and families will be able to approach their lives with all the information they need to make the best decisions for them and their loved ones.
Thank you, as always, for allowing us to be a part of your lives.
Gilchrist Executive Director